To provide a student with the assistance in offsetting costs to attend a college or university of their choice. These awards shall be administered through the Scholarship Committee awarded to sons/daughters of active members in good standing of the San Antonio Hispanic Police Officers Organization (SAHPOO). Members must have been a member of SAHPOO for at least two years or upon graduation from the Police Academy. A limited number of awards may be awarded to qualifying students in the San Antonio, Bexar County and surrounding areas.
Funds are to be awarded on the basis of:
- Academics – Each applicant must be a high school senior student. Applicants must
meet the requirements for entrance in the Community College/University of his or her choice.
Applicants must have maintained a 3.3 G.P.A. or better. Others will be considered under special
- Citizenship – Each applicant must show evidence of moral force of character,
unselfishness, and consideration of others.
- Leadership – Each applicant must demonstrate leadership in the home, at school, and
- “B+” Average – a school level of work that is no less than 3.3 at the high school level.
- Scholarships – those funds awarded as a result of need and desire on the applicant’s part.
- Senior – a student in his last year of high school.
- Special Circumstance Applicant – applicants that have obtained a G.E.D. or who’s grades are below 3.3 GPA.
- Applicants shall mail a completed application for scholarship to the Scholarship Committee.
- Applications must be postmarked no later than Thursday March 31st, 2022. Applications will only be accepted through this method (no hand deliveries). Mail to:
SAHPOO Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 830716 San Antonio, Texas 78283
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MUST ACCOMPANY A COMPLETED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED:
- A copy of applicant’s ACT and or SAT scores. (Not needed for Community College)
- An official transcript of applicant’s grades (applicants should include the first semester of his or her senior year transcript), conduct marks, courses taken, or G.E.D. certificate.
- A 500 to no more than 550 word essay. The essay MUST be double spaced, 12 inch font, New Times Roman, and typed. (No hand written essays will be accepted). The essay will be about, “Pick an experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced your
development. Explain how it helped you choose your future career.”
- Two letters of reference. (Non-relative).